Sunday, May 8, 2016

Family Friendly Meals

I was recently chatting with a friend about what our kids like to eat.

I think like most families, our family struggles with finding more than just a couple of meals that everybody loves.  Either most of us like it, but not everyone or just me and my husband and I end up saying, "just try it....or you have to eat at least 10 decent bites."  Ugh...

So here are some go to's that everybody likes:

Sausage and Potatoes:
This one my mom use to make.  I've put my spin on it and its always different. 

Potatoes any kind cubed (peeled, not peeled, whatever you like). The amount varies depending on the size of the potatoes.  I like to have a little more potato than sausage, so it can vary depending on the which type of potato you use.  
One package of Eckrich Turkey Sausage sliced
Chicken Broth (1 can)
2-3 cloves of chopped garlic
Salt/Pepper and whatever kind of seasoning you like

Slice the sausage and brown on both sides.  Add garlic and potatoes and pour about a 1 1/2 - 2 cups of chicken broth in the pan.  Salt and pepper and stir. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through and soft.  This takes about 15 or so minutes.  Check on it periodically and stir.


Homemade Pizzas:
I like these because everyone can make it the way that want.  I assemble them most of the time, but really anyone can make their own.  Its really fun to line all the toppings up and let everyone go to town.

You can make your own dough or get the kind in the can....I've done both and both work.  If you're in a rush the can stuff saves time.  I use two cans if I'm making pizzas for all 4 of us.  I cut the rolls in half to make two pizzas.

Jar pizza sauce
Prepared Pesto (I like the kind in the refrigerator section at Sam's)
Mozzarella
Pepperoni
Cooked sliced chicken
Roasted veggies
Sliced onions
Sliced olives
or whatever you want

Hamburger meat/corn/beans over rice:
1-2lbs Ground Beef
1 small yellow onion
1 1/2 cups of frozen corn
1 can black, red kidney or pinto beans rinsed and drained
4 cups cooked rice
Salt and Pepper
2-3 Garlic Cloves
Tony Chachere's Creole Brown Gravy Mix
Instant Brown Gravy Mix (Multi-Pack)
Brown the meat, season with salt pepper add the chopped garlic and onions. Add the corn and beans and stir everything together.  There's directions on the back of the Gravy Mix, but I just sprinkle about 2-3 tablespoons and add about a cup of water to make the gravy.  I let it cook for about 5-10 minutes to allow the gravy to thicken, you can sprinkle more mix in if you need it to be thicker.  I just go with what looks good.

I serve it over brown or white rice.


Pork tenderloin in the slow cooker:
This one is crazy easy.

I use one Italian Seasoned Pork Tenderloin from HEB.  I'm willing to bet if you are not near an HEB, your local store has Seasoned Pork Tenderloins too.  I take the frozen tenderloin directly from the freezer, take it out of the wrapper and drop it in the slow cooker (don't forget the slow cooker liners...life changing I kid you not!) Open one can of Italian tomatoes, pour over the top, put the lid on and cook on low for 8-10 hours. You can set it for 6 hours if you're short on time.  

Don't worry if its frozen solid it will still cook just fine.  

Falling apart awesome! 

You can also double the recipe if you need to feed more than 4 people.

Click for Options

Terrible picture....sorry.  The tomatoes are not the Italian tomatoes I would normally use, but the Fire Roasted will do.  See what I did there...use what you have.  The same applies to the recipes above. Make it your own.

Since the top 3 are really one pot meals you don't necessarily need another side.  However, something green with all would work, green beans, broccoli or salad would be my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment